A wedding ceremony sample, one everyone seems to enjoy.


Most couples like to begin with a basic ceremony and customize it to meet their specific needs. There are no rules. Feel free to copy this one and play with it. Be creative. Use your imagination, and most of all, have fun!

Although Humanist ceremonies do not invoke any god or deity, we can always include cultural references or ceremonial symbols if they have personal significance for the couple. For example, a wedding might include a wine glass breaking from the Jewish tradition.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the ceremony that will unite ______ and_____in marriage.
We gather here today to celebrate their union, and to honor their commitment
to one another
Today ______ and _____proclaim their love to the world, and we rejoice with and for them.

In marriage, we give ourselves freely and generously into the hands of the one we love, and in doing so, each of us receives the love and trust of the other as our most precious gift. But even as that gift is shared by two people who are in love, it also touches the friends and family members who in various ways support and contribute to the relationship. All of you are __________community, and each of you has played some part in bringing them to this moment. This is why gathering as a community is such an important part of a wedding ceremony. Because _______are now taking a new form as a married couple they become part of their community in a new way.

_____ and_______, it is in this spirit that you have come here to today to exchange these vows.

VOWS

_________, repeat after me:

I ______ take you ________ to be my wife /
I promise above all else to live in truth with you/
and to communicate fully and fearlessly with you everyday/
I give you my hand and my heart /
as a sanctuary of warmth and peace/
and pledge my love and devotion to you
as I join my life to yours.

(REPEAT SAME FOR _______, OR MODIFY IF YOU WISH)

RINGS

For thousands of years lovers have exchanged rings as a token of their vows.
These simple gold bands are not of great value in themselves,
but are made precious by our wearing of them.
Your rings say that even in your uniqueness you have chosen to be bound together.

________, take _______ ring and put it on her finger, and repeat after me:

Just as this circle is without end, my love for you is eternal/
Just as it is made of indestructible substance/
my commitment to you will never fail/
With this ring I take you to be my trusted confidante
and partner for life.

(REPEAT SAME FOR_______, OR MODIFY IF YOU WISH)

PRONOUNCEMENT

_____and____, although I'm officiating here today,
it is not truly in my power to sanctify, legitimize or bless your relationship in any way,
because the two of you have already done that in your hearts.
So, by joining hands right now and looking into each other's eyes,
let it be known that you are joined, body and soul in this lifetime,
and that this bond is sacred and eternal.
And now that you have stood before everyone here and exchanged these rings and these vows,
and have agreed to be married according to the laws of the state of Washington/Oregon,
it gives me gives me great pleasure to pronounce that you are Husband and Wife.